American hotels have always excelled when it comes to customer service with friendly, helpful employees and a seemingly happy atmosphere. So, how can one become the best, the most helpful, the friendliest, the most efficient, the most productive and the most profitable?
The answer is much less complicated than it would seem: hire the RIGHT people for the RIGHT positions. The knock-on effects of this action are unimaginable: increased profits, greater harmony in the workplace, more fulfilled and hard-working employees and better staff retention rates.
Canyons Resort is an example of a successful company that had hit a glass ceiling. It needed to change its hiring process drastically in order to reach its goal of being the Number 1 four seasons in North America. As a ski resort, management needs to hire an unusually high number of seasonal workers. These then need to be trained to the standard required to enable the resort to reach its ultimate goal.
Taking the guesswork out of the hiring process meant that less time and money were wasted on training the wrong people, and more time could be spent bettering and in turn fine tuning the current training processes.
- Canyons, Four seasons ski resort in Utah
- Largest ski resort in Utah, employs 2000 staff members (1200 seasonal hires November- April)
- The very elevated number of seasonal employees means constant need to hire and train
- Aim: to be Number 1 resort in North America
- Operates: 3 hotels, 12 restaurants, private golf course and club
- Want a good job fit from the moment of hire and throughout the job
Tools used: How did The Predictive Index help?
- PI was brought in to stabilise the hiring process
- PI’s companion tool Job Assessment was used to develop behavioural profiles for the different positions
- These two combined allowed the managers to determine what personality types were needed for which job and WHO fitted these profiles
- Due to the broadness of the tool, it could be used in the hiring process as well as by current and future management to ensure employees stayed motivated to reach their full potential
- Easier hiring process with less emphasis on guesswork
- An assurance that the correct people were being hired for the correct jobs
- Employee service levels increased to a high of 9.6 out of 10
- Ranking of Number 1 resort for employee friendliness
- A Net Promoter Score (used to measure customer loyalty) increase from low 60s to the 70s
- Return rate for seasonal employees increased from 42% to 64%
- Permanent employee retention rate of 70%
- Voted as Number1 place to work in Utah
Canyons Resort is still using PI and the tool has already made a huge difference in the company’s employee service levels, retention rates and returns rates, and has now been seamlessly integrated into the hiring process and day-to-day management.